SALC’s Disability Rights work is integrated within its other programmatic areas and focuses on the following objectives:
- To encourage the development and reform of laws and policies in line with the requirements of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- To raise awareness of ongoing discrimination of persons with disabilities in the criminal justice system, with a focus on persons with mental disabilities and persons with albinism.
- To ensure accountability for discrimination of persons with disabilities in healthcare services, including through complaints mechanisms.
- To ensure access to education for children with disabilities.
- To support the work towards petty offences and provide evidence to courts on how these offences impact on persons with disabilities.
Zambia: Constitutional challenge to the Mental Disorders Act.
Malawi: Challenging the constitutionality of the offence of begging with deformities.